Are you ready?
Embrace the challenge of a non-profit arts experience! Chicago Opera Theater (COT) is a mid-sized professional non-profit with a rich and diverse history. College students and young people with a passion for the arts are encouraged to pursue an opportunity with COT's internship program. Opportunities are available in development, marketing, education and artistic departments.
COT interns don't do busy work; they do projects.
As an intern at COT you will be under the guidance of an energetic, diverse veteran staff. It is typical for interns to take on significant projects in their respective areas. Past interns have drafted and submitted letters for grants, worked hands-on with students in outreach programs, pitched stories to the press, and have coordinated special events to help raise thousands of dollars!
Internships Currently Accepting Applicants:
COT is not offering any internships at the moments. Please check back later!
Why the COT Experience?
Being an intern at COT has many benefits:
- COT allows interns to gain valuable experience in their respective area, and puts their skills to use to be evaluated by some of the best in the business.
- Learn what it is like to be a part of a non-profit organization and how it operates.
- Gain an insider's view into one of the country's most innovative opera companies.
- Networking! Jump start your professional career by making contacts with artists, donors, Board Trustees, colleagues from other arts organizations, the list goes on... The number of quality people and exciting organizations you will meet is endless, and you never know where these introductions may lead!
- Lay the foundation for your future. Serving as an integral contributor to significant projects in a reputable organization will set you apart in the job market. 100% of COT's interns have received a job offer upon completion of their Bachelor's degree. In fact two in the last two years have even earned full-time positions at COT.
- Work in the heart of downtown Chicago. Chicago has a multitude of things to offer; whether its culture, food, entertainment, or shopping along the Magnificent Mile, you will never be lacking for something to do. The culturally diverse city of Chicago allows interns to gain life experiences which are just awesome.
On top of these fantastic benefits, interns also receive:
- Complimentary tickets to all COT productions
- Possibility of College Credit
- Free tickets throughout their internship at other arts venues
Frequently Asked Questions
As an intern, is it possible for me to hold an outside job?
Internships at COT are generally full-time, lasting between 10-12 weeks. It is possible to hold an outside job, as long as it does not interfere with your duties at COT. See the "Working" section for more details.
Does COT offer paid internships?
Stipends are sometimes offered for specific opportunities at COT, but most internships at Chicago Opera Theater are unpaid. College credit is available pending approval from your institution.
Does COT provide housing for interns?
No. COT does not provide any housing for interns. Finding housing is the responsibility of the intern. If accepted, our knowledgeable staff can point you in the right direction to finding housing during your tieme with COT.
Areas of Interest
Internships are meant for individuals to grasp a better understanding of a certain area of concentration. It is basically a way for someone to "test the waters" for a possible career path. Well, one of the best parts of the COT experience is that interns will be "testing the waters"... A LOT!
As a COT intern, you have the opportunity to apply for one several internships available however, you will find yourself collaborating with a couple other departments each and every week. In order for COT to continually provide artistic excellence, the different departments often coordinate efforts and work together on projects. As an intern, you will be part of these cross-functional collaborations.
To apply for an internship position, please do the following:
- Submit your resume.
- Submit a letter of interest. The letter should include the following: why you want to intern at COT, your career goals, what you plan to achieve through the internship, and any unique experiences you may have in your field of interest.
- These two documents may be sent to the appropriate Department Head for the position (see internship description above) or to 70 E. Lake Street, Suite 415, Chicago, IL 60601.
No phone calls please!