The Director of Marketing and Public Relations is responsible for the planning, implementation, and evaluation of all marketing, public relations, and communication activities. This exempt position is a member of the company's senior management team, and reports to the General Director. S/he will work closely with the General Director, General Manager and Director of Development, in the development of strategic planning for the company. Direct reports include Audience Services Manager and Marketing Associate.
○ Maximize earned income revenues by crafting and executing strategic and comprehensive annual marketing and public relations campaigns.
○ Manage major growth in audience size among subscribers and single ticket holders.
○ Manage the effective growth and evolution of the COT brand both locally and nationally
○ Ensure all external communication, including but not limited to E-marketing, company
website, press releases, and various collateral is accurate, consistent, and aligned with
○ Provide clear, accurate reports, both verbally and written, to board and staff.
○ Coordination of design, copy, and distribution of all marketing material which integrates
COT's overall brand platform and ensures consistent use of brand messages and
○ Creation and implementation of direct mail, e-marketing, and telemarketing campaigns.
○ Supervision of the Box Office and all its activities, including customer service.
○ Maintain departmental revenue and expense budgets, cash flow forecasts, and calendar of
○ Assume all editorial responsibilities, in collaboration with the General Director, of COT's
○ Identify, develop, and manage all of COT's Preferred Partners.
○ Actively seek out and secure corporate sponsorship opportunities.
○ Participate in the planning and execution of community engagement and audience
● Public Relations:
○ Supervision of activities related to all press relations including creation and distribution of
press releases and materials.
○ Secure reviewing press from local, regional, and national sources, as well as previews and
listings in all forms of media.
○ Cultivate productive relationship with members of local, regional, and national media with
an emphasis on those which cover the arts and opera.
○ Coordinate all promotional events and activities, including National Opera Week, press
conferences, and audience development.
○ Participate in the planning and execution of community engagement events.
○ Direct the creation, editorial content, and gathering of materials, in collaboration with the
General Director and other departments, for all Program Books; manage company-wide
○ Coordinate all company photography, both production and social.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
● Proven record of success in creation and implementation of both large- and small-scale revenue- generating campaigns
● Expertise in the application of fundamental marketing/public relations theories and practices for performing arts organizations.
● Exceptional written communication skills.
● Demonstrated strength in team leadership and resource management
● Strong computer competence; thorough knowledge of ticketing database software preferred
● Outstanding organizational, copywriting, communication, and interpersonal skills.
● Proven, hands-on experience in media relations, media planning and buying, direct and email
initiatives, and digital marketing.
● Background or interest in the arts and music in particular is preferred.
Desired Traits and Characteristics:
The ideal candidate is a creative and passionate Marketing professional who seeks to capitalize on and enhance the COT brand as one of the best mid-sized opera companies in the country, and an integral part of Chicago's cultural landscape.
Superlative writing skills are essential, and candidates will be asked to provide multiple writing samples. S/he is energetic, resourceful, and demonstrates tremendous initiative in the crafting and implementation of marketing programs and events.
COT has a small, vibrant staff and the ability to work collaboratively as part of a close team is critical.
S/he will have a passion for and commitment to theater and the classical arts, and should embrace an "out-of-the-box", non-traditional approach to theater and opera production.
● Masters degree preferred, 5+ years Marketing experience
● Ability to work limited nights and weekends during productions and special events. Must be able to work during fundraising events, and/or other events as requested by General Director.
● Ability to help with various COT set-ups, may be expected to lift or move boxes weighing up to 25 pounds.
● Salary: Commensurate with experience
● Health: Comprehensive benefits package offered
Starting Date: Negotiable
Please send Resume and Cover Letter to Jerry Tietz, General Manager, at email@example.com