20 Hours/Week Unpaid
Chicago Opera Theater is looking for a motivated, friendly individual to play a strong role in the marketing and public relations areas of our critically-acclaimed, nationally-recognized organization. COT is a small, friendly, community-oriented office environment, with much inter-departmental interaction, ideal for someone interested in getting to know the behind-the-scenes of non-profit arts management.
Chicago Opera Theater (COT) is a mid-sized arts organization dedicated to producing high quality opera in Chicago and around the country. Since its inception in 1974, COT has reached an audience of many thousands through its main-stage performances, regional tours, outreach programs, and telecasts. Under the dynamic leadership of General Director Andreas Mitisek, COT has begun to compliment its primary operatic offerings at the Joan W. and Irving B. Harris Theater for Music and Dance with nontheatrical, site-specific opera experiences in various Chicago communities. For more information, visit our website at www.chicagooperatheater.org.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Pro-active, detail-oriented, able to juggle multiple tasks
• Internet research skills
• Strong interest in the performing arts (classical music or opera a plus)
• Demonstrated interest in marketing/public relations
• Graphic and/or web design skills a strong plus
• Positive, friendly attitude
The intern will assist in all aspects of the marketing and public relations department activities, including organizational branding, ticket sales and customer service, press relations, media and advertising planning and implementation. Responsibilities will vary depending on the skills and interests of the candidate, and could include:
• Social media design and execution
• Content and copy writing
• Assist with media planning
• Archiving and digitizing
• Print material design
• Support ticket sales activities to individuals and groups
• General office support
Though the internship is unpaid, we are happy to assist our interns with any paperwork necessary for obtaining course credit at their university.
To be considered for a Marketing / PR internship at Chicago Opera Theater, please submit the following application materials:
• A cover letter stating his/her specific interests and availability
• Current resume
Please send application materials to:
Chicago Opera Theater
Attn: Whitney Michel
70 E. Lake Street, Suite 415
Chicago, IL 60601
Fax: (312) 704-8414
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE!