- The Season
- Contact Us
Education Spring Internship
Term: 20 Weeks (February 2 – June 19, 2015)
Hours: Flexible schedule, 20 - 25 Hours/Week,
Chicago Opera Theater is looking for a motivated, friendly individual to play a strong role in the education department of our critically-acclaimed, nationally-recognized organization. COT is a small, friendly, community-oriented office environment, with much inter-departmental interaction, ideal for someone interested in getting to know the behind-the-scenes of non-profit arts management.
Chicago Opera Theater (COT) is a mid-sized arts organization dedicated to producing high quality opera in Chicago and around the country. Since its inception in 1974, COT has reached an audience of many thousands through its main-stage performances, regional tours, outreach programs, and telecasts. Under the dynamic leadership of General Director Andreas Mitisek, COT has begun to complement its primary operatic offerings at the Joan W. and Irving B. Harris Theater for Music and Dance with nontheatrical, site-specific opera experiences in various Chicago communities. For more information, visit our website at www.chicagooperatheater.org.
Required Skills and Experience:
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Pro-active, detail-oriented, able to juggle multiple tasks
• Strong interest in the performing arts (classical music or opera a plus)
• Access to vehicle and willingness to drive to sites around the city
• Demonstrated interest in arts education
• Positive, friendly attitude
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, and Publisher
The intern will assist in all aspects of the education department activities in the office and schools as needed. Responsibilities will vary depending on the skills and interests of the candidate, and could include:
• Updating evaluation and student learning data presentations
• Communication between Manager of Education and Outreach and teaching artists
• Planning teaching artist meetings
• Budgeting and reconciliation
• Attending education community organization meetings
• Attending performance and dress rehearsals of education programs as needed
We are happy to assist our interns with any paperwork necessary for obtaining course credit at their university.
To be considered for an Education Internship at Chicago Opera Theater, please submit the following application materials:
• A cover letter stating your specific interests and availability
• Current resume
Please send application materials by January 31, 2015 to:
Chicago Opera Theater
Attn: Linden Christ
70 E. Lake Street, Suite 415
Chicago, IL 60601
Fax: (312) 704-8414
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE!